Monday, May 28, 2007

Cruise Log ~ May 27: Approaching 30-ft Seas; Autographing Al Gore's Head

The Al Gore Hat (Photo by Kathy Hardy)



As we finally leave PAPA, we have nearly 800 miles of open ocean between us and safe harbor at Ketchikan, Alaska.

A massive storm dominates the North Pacific and is threatening us with 20-30-ft seas.

OCEAN STATION P, NORTH PACIFIC (May 27, 2007): Things have been incredibly busy for the last two days. This afternoon everyone and his/her brother were in the bubble collecting clean water from the fish so they can finish their experiments and clean up before heading back to Alaska. Peggy and I are starting as many incubations as possible before we leave tonight. The latest we can leave PAPA to make it to Ketchikan in time is 0700 hours tomorrow morning. To make matters worse there is a large storm bearing down on us. We are now waiting for Mark Wells to fill the last of several carboys with seawater, then the crew can pull the fish back on board and hightail it for Ketchikan.

I can tell that some of the scientists are a little uneasy and I have to say I am also a little worried about facing a large storm out here at PAPA. We are nearly 800 miles from safe harbor at Ketchikan; a long way from help if we need it. But, I have a lot of confidence in the crew of the Thomspon, I am sure they could get us safely through anything.

The Dall’s porpoises are still playing around the ship. They are so fast, they pop up in one spot and reappear somewhere else in what appears to me to be a random pattern. I did get some ok video but no stills yet. The wind has picked up an it has started to rain too hard to take my camera out on deck, so no more photos tonight.....

We are finally underway. I think we are in for a rough night because at this point we can’t outrun the storm, so some time tonight it is going to catch up with us. I have heard that it is the remnant of a typhoon and that we may be in for twenty to thirty foot seas.

I also recently heard that Bill, the “teacher at sea” is going to turn fifty on this cruise! An occasion we can’t let go unnoticed.

I was disappointed to find out today that Charlie Trick is leaving us in Ketchikan. Al Gore is visiting the University of Western Ontario to open a new building and Charlie is facilitating the event. He bought an R/V Thomas G. Thompson hat for Al and asked people to sign it. If the former VP wears it, I will be right next to his temple!

Click on the link below to track the last reported location of our ship, the R/V Thomas G. Thompson. CLICK HERE TO TRACK

Email comments or questions to:mailto:kathleen.umaine@gmail.com